Company Archivist at Facebook at Menlo Park, California
Facebook's mission is to give people the power to build community and bring the world closer together. Through our family of apps and services, we're building a different kind of company that connects billions of people around the world, gives them ways to share what matters most to them, and helps bring people closer together. Whether we're creating new products or helping a small business expand its reach, people at Facebook are builders at heart. Our global teams are constantly iterating, solving problems, and working together to empower people around the world to build community and connect in meaningful ways. Together, we can help people build stronger communities — we're just getting started.
Facebook seeks a highly motivated, detail-oriented team player to serve as our Company Archivist in legal. The position will report to Facebook's Director and Associate General Counsel of eDiscovery & Information Governance. As a trusted member of the team, you will build consensus across teams as you support local as well as global archiving initiatives.
The ideal candidate is comfortable working on multiple complicated and often unrelated projects. You are a natural communicator who focuses on and conveys details to project owners and stakeholders to drive alignment and clarity, and to reduce surprises by proactively managing risks. You have great intellectual curiosity and a desire to invest time and energy into learning and growing as a subject matter expert. In addition, you have the ability to operate independently in a fast-paced environment and work proactively with teams across the company. This is a full-time position.
- Lead Facebook Archives by partnering with internal and external stakeholders to collect, process, organize, store, manage, and preserve digital and physical assets.
- Advocate for and lead Archives communications effort throughout the company.
- Continue ongoing assessment of current state of Facebook physical and digital collections
- partner with internal teams on Archives workflows and planning.
- Oversee processing efforts to ensure accurate cataloging and proper archival storage of assets.
- Recommend and implement proactive preservation and conservation plans for various physical and digital assets.
- Lead implementation and population of digital asset/collections management systems, inventory tracking tools, and related internal and/or third-party tools.
- Assist in the location and collection of historical data, documents, and artifacts.
- Lead development of historical knowledge repository and oversee information collection and verification.
- Assist in the drafting of retention schedules for digital and physical assets, including company records and information systems.
- Create, implement, and maintain archival governance policies using best practices while recognizing the unique nature of the collection.
- Manage a team of processing/cataloging specialists
- manage daily operations of Archives.
- Partner with external organizations as needed for exhibits, loans, and proactive storytelling experiences.
- MLIS degree from an ALA-accredited school or equivalent advanced degree.
- 10+ years of experience in archives.
- Demonstrated experience in organization, planning and communication.
- Experience with archival description standards, metadata schema, and knowledge of preservation and conservation standards for archival materials.
- Experience creating and managing departmental budgets.
- Experience managing third-party vendors and communicating project status with internal stakeholders.
- Experience performing physical activity associated with archival work environments.
- Experience managing confidential information with professionalism and integrity.
- Experience working in a business/corporate archive.
- 3+ years experience working as a company archivist in a large, for-profit organization.
- Experience coordinating with a variety of audiences, including legal, technical, project management, and communicating across cross-functional partnerships.
Facebook is committed to providing reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities and disabled veterans in our job application procedures. If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, you may contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.